The Annex was meant to offer extra private and semi-non-public rooms than have been available in the principle constructing’s wards, and its second floor served because the hospital’s maternity ward. is the last remaining useful resource that conveys the historical past of the town’s early High Street space settlement, which was bypassed by most business and transportation. Stories of the pioneers who settled this remote, rugged area are advised by the cemetery’s 46 grave markers, the oldest of which dates to 1812 and the latest to 1877. This warehouse was constructed circa 1720 using plank building and was designed to make the loading and unloading of cargo boats, especially Piscataquag gundalows, as efficient as possible. Moved to Prescott Park in 1940, it is the sole survivor of a constructing kind as soon as common on Portsmouth’s waterfront. on Mountain Road in Sandwich is likely one of many oldest farm properties in the space known as Cram’s Corner, a rural crossroads village courting to the 1780s. Originally often known as the Paige Memorial Library, this building is known as after the library trustee who bequeathed the money for its development in 1926.
In the great Romanesque abbey lie the remains of many medieval kings of Scotland, including these of Robert the Bruce. Just subsequent door are the ruins of the Palace, as soon as a great centre of learning and tradition in the Renaissance and the house of the good poet Robert Henryson. The Cathedral and Castle at Durham, perched on an enormous crag above the River Wear, is among the greatest sites in Britain. The architecture historian, Nicholas Pevsner, known as Durham ‘one of the nice experiences of Europe’, comparable only with the chic citadels of Avignon and Prague. In the year 995, the monks of Lindisfarne, carrying the relics of the 6th-century Saint Cuthbert to guard them from Viking incursions, settled at Durham and founded the town. In the Middle Ages, it was a serious pilgrimage website, as the devoted came to the relics of Cuthbert and the tomb of the Venerable Bede. The cathedral is thought to be the best Romanesque building in Europe – facing it is the Castle, formerly the home of the Prince Bishops who ruled the county with their very own courtroom system.
UNESCO recognised ‘The Castles and Town Walls of King Edward in Gwynedd’ as a World Heritage Site in 1986. This part of North West Wales was fiercely independent within the late 13th century when the Plantagenet rulers of England had been extending their energy across the UK. Local rulers refused to assist King Edward I, resulting in a huge military campaign to subjugate the Welsh. The results were the massive castles and walls of Conwy, Harlech, Beaumaris and, most impressive of all, Caernarfon. The large citadel at Caernarfon dominates the city and was the ruling centre for a lot of North Wales. More lately, it was here where Prince Charles was named the Prince of Wales.
A 1785 meeting house that was moved and renovated within the nineteenth century, it is a wonderful example of shingle-fashion architecture. In 1902, Julia Thayer, philanthropist and spouse of a mill proprietor, renovated the house right into a library for the people of her hometown. This summer time house close to the Little Lake Sunapee region was designed by Prentice Sanger in for his dad and mom. The property exemplifies the summer time house motion and is notable for its structure. From then till the sixteenth century, the town was the capital of Scotland and the centre of royal energy.
An glorious instance of Romanesque structure, the library was funded in memory of Thomas Ingalls, son of a Revolutionary War soldier and himself prominent citizen of Rindge. , which started across the street in Upper Village Hall through bequests from Harriet and Emma Taylor. In addition to offering expanded space, the new building included trendy heating and electrical techniques. The library is also part of the East Derry Historic District, which was listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. , widely often known as the Majestic Theatre, was in-built 1931 on Main Street, persevering with a nineteenth-century tradition of together with a theater with retailers and retail underneath one roof. A fire in 2005 damaged the theater’s interior, however the constructing’s exterior nonetheless has lots of its Art Deco particulars and the theater’s recessed entrance, making its previous easily identifiable. Inside, the format of patient rooms continues to be apparent; further-wide doors to the rooms would have accommodated hospital gurneys.