Built between 1773 and 1778, this Georgian-Federal transitionalist type house is a major instance of residential architecture. Throughout its history, its homeowners have been outstanding in agriculture and medicine.
is the one surviving building associated with the Gilmanton Village Manufacturing Company; it serves as a reminder of producing’s importance within the city’s financial improvement. After a 1992 hearth, neighborhood efforts to save the constructing resulted in a renovation. existed merely as a traveling collection of books until this Colonial Revival constructing was constructed in 1921. Its concrete blocks had been created on site, using money-saving volunteer labor. The library is viewed because the city’s method of paying tribute to the importance of studying. Recently updated, it nonetheless serves as each a dormitory and as an necessary connection between the trendy campus and its historic beginnings. This architecturally important Georgian house was constructed circa 1770 for the town’s first minister, who was also given 240 acres, an annual wage and an allotment of firewood.
He constructed a printing store, bindery, and foundry for his grandson, Benjamin Franklin Bache. He added a new wing that included a large eating room, library, and extra bedrooms. He also built two substantial rental properties on Market Street flanking an arched carriageway into his courtroom.
Known as Orianna Street, it was soon crowded with outlets—silversmiths, bookbinders, printers, bakers, and shoemakers. Franklin made major improvements to the property within the 5 years earlier than his dying.